With the alarming rise of diabetes in the country, Practo, India’s leading integrated healthcare company, has witnessed an overall 44% increase in diabetes consultations (in-person) year-on-year (October 2020 – September 2021 vs October 2021 – September 2022).
Young Indians in the age group of 25 – 34 recorded the highest spike in consultations as their share of consultations increased by 46% since last year.
Doctors suggest poor lifestyle choices, lack of exercise or even poor dietary habits might be some of the factors contributing to the rise in diabetes among young Indians.
Key findings from Practo Insights:
- Diabetes, Diabetologists and Endocrinologists were the top 3 leading queries (searches) for diabetes on Practo
- Diabetes and Diabetologists accounted for 46% of the top 3 queries, and Endocrinologists accounted for 54%
- Young Indians in the age group of 25-34 accounted for 50% of all consultations; recording a 46% YoY increase
- 18-24 years accounted for 5% of total consultations; recording a 91% increase
- 35-44 years accounted for 33% of total consultations; recording a 23% increase
- 45-54 years accounted for 8% of total consultations; recording a 18% increase
- 54+ years accounted for 4% of total consultations; recording a0.41% dip
- Tier 1 cities accounted for 95% of all consultations; recording a 44% YoY increase
- Bangalore accounted for 29% of total consultations; recording a 77% increase
- Delhi-NCR accounted for 40% of total consultations; recording a 46% increase
- Mumbai and Navi Mumbai accounted for 9% of total consultations; recording a 72% increase
- Hyderabad accounted for 14% of total consultations; recording a 21% increase
- Chennai accounted for 3% of total consultations; recording a 24% increase
- Pune accounted for 5% of total consultations; recording a 35% increase
- Tier 2 cities on the other hand accounted for 5% of all consultations,recording a 24% YoY decrease
*Timeline – October 2020 – September 2021 vs October 2021 – September 2022
Dr Hema Venkataraman, Medical Advisor, New Initiatives, Practo, Consultant Endocrinologist and Senior Lecturer, University Hospitals Birmingham, NHS, UK, Said :
Practo is on a mission to make quality healthcare affordable and accessible for over a billion+ Indians.
It is India’s leading integrated healthcare company that connects the entire health ecosystem together – including patients, doctors, surgeons, clinics, hospitals, pharmacies, and diagnostics – to generate exceptional value and service for all, especially the end consumers.
It integrates different parts of the patient’s healthcare journey so they can have a seamless experience, right from primary healthcare viz.
Finding and booking an appointment with verified doctors, consulting doctors online with ETA as low as 60 seconds, getting medicines delivered and lab tests conducted at home, providing health plans to corporates, to secondary healthcare procedures across 20+ specialties.
Practo also makes software products that help healthcare providers – ranging from small clinics to large hospitals – digitise and deliver more efficient and higher quality healthcare to millions of patients around the world.
As technology becomes an integral part of healthcare, Practo has also become an essential enabler in helping doctors understand the nuances of managing and securely storing all health data.
Practo encrypts all data with 256-bit encryption, uses HIPAA-compliant data centres, and is one of the few healthcare companies to be ISO 27001 certified.
Practo is present in 22 countries, helping over 30 crore patients, by connecting them with 1 lakh + verified doctor partners.