Bank holidays in the month of October is quite large in numbers. As per the official list of holidays released by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and also counting the weekends, across India are looking at a total of 21 days of bank holidays in October month.
This not be a major cause for concern as these holidays are state-wise and take place for banks in certain cities only on specific dates.
They are not at all uniform in nature save for a few days.
The official RBI bank holiday list has the number of holidays at 14 days total.
The other seven days are weekend leaves which includes Sundays and as well as second and fourth Saturdays.
The RBI’s list of holidays has categories of state-wise celebrations, religious holidays and festival celebrations.
The list of RBI mandated holidays is group under the categories of ‘Holiday under Negotiable Instruments Act’, ‘Holiday under Negotiable Instruments Act and Real Time Gross Settlement Holiday’ and ‘Banks’ Closing of Accounts’.
It should be noted that the holidays for the month of October come under the bracket of ‘Holiday under Negotiable Instruments Act’ for the most part, with only the first day of the month coming under the bracket of ‘Banks’ Closing of Accounts’, but even that is only applicable for banks located in Gangtok.
Full list of holidays for the month of October 2021, as per RBI mandate :
- October 1 – Half Yearly Closing of Bank Accounts (Gangtok)
- October 2 – Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti (All States)
- October 3 – Sunday
- October 6 – Mahalaya Amavasye (Agartala, Bengaluru, Kolkata)
- October 7 – Mera Chaoren Houba of Lainingthou Sanamahi (Imphal)
- October 9 – 2nd Saturday
- October 10 – Sunday
- October 12 – Durga Puja (Maha Saptami) / (Agartala, Kolkata)
- October 13 – Durga Puja (Maha Ashtami) / (Agartala, Bhubaneswar, Gangtok, Guwahati, Imphal, Kolkata, Patna, Ranchi)
- October 14 – Durga Puja/Dussehra (Maha Navami)/Ayutha Pooja (Agartala, Bengaluru, Chennai, Gangtok, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kochi, Kolkata, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi, Shillong, Srinagar, Thiruvananthapuram)
- October 15 – Durga Puja/Dasara/Dusshera (Vijaya Dashmi) / (All Banks except those in Imphal and Shimla)
- October 16 – Durga Puja (Dasain) / (Gangtok)
- October 17 – Sunday
- October 18 – Kati Bihu (Guwahati)
- October 19 – Id-E-Milad/Eid-e-Miladunnabi/Milad-i-Sherif (Prophet Mohammad’s Birthday)/Baravafat / (Ahmedabad, Belapur, Bhopal, Chennai, Dehradun, Hyderabad, Imphal, Jammu, Kanpur, Kochi, Lucknow, Mumbai, Nagpur, New Delhi, Raipur, Ranchi, Srinagar, Thiruvananthapuram)
- October 20 – Maharishi Valmiki’s Birthday/Lakshmi Puja/Id-E-Milad (Agartala, Bengaluru, Chandigarh, Kolkata, Shimla)
- October 22 – Friday following Eid-i-Milad-ul-Nabi (Jammu, Srinagar)
- October 23 – 4th Saturday
- October 24 – Sunday
- October 26 – Accession Day (Jammu, Srinagar)
- October 31 – Sunday
THANK YOU FOR READING.