All COVID-19 patients are required to keep a check on their oxygen saturation frequently.
Oxygen saturation goes below 94% you should try ‘Self-Proning’ advise medical experts which improve oxygen levels.
Meaning of Self-Proning is to lying on your belly.
How to Do Self-Proning to Increase Oxygen Levels
Before starting it you need pillows :
- One should be below the neck,
- One or two below the chest through the upper thighs and
- Two pillows below the shins.
NOTE : It is recommended that you should not spend more than 30 minutes in each position.
Follow These Steps :
- Start with lying on your belly
- Then Lying on your right side
- Now Sitting up with your legs extended in front of you
- Then Lying on the left side
- Now Go back to lying on your belly
Dos and Don’ts for Proning.
- You should Avoid proning for an hour after meals
- Remember Maintain proning for only as many times as easily tolerable
- One may prone for up to 16 hours a day, in multiple cycles, as you feel comfortable
- Pillows may be adjusted slightly to alter pressure areas and for comfort
- Keep a track of any pressure sores or injuries, especially around bony prominences
Who should avoid Proning?
Proning should be avoided in conditions :
- Deep venous thrombosis (treated in less than 48 hours)
- Major cardiac conditions
- Unstable spine, femur, or pelvic fractures
THANK YOU FOR READING.