After the launch of the Unified Payments Interface (UPI), India has witness a rise in online transactions. As of March 2023, the jump in the monthly UPI transaction count reportedly touch 8.7 billion (approx. 87 lakh).
Most of these transactions were initiate through UPI IDs connect with debit cards.
Now, in order to push the growth of digital payments in India, NPCI has collaborate with Google Pay to enable the integration of RuPay credit cards with UPI.
Now UPI users can now link their RuPay credit cards with Google Pay to initiate payments across all online and offline merchants where RuPay credit cards are accept.
In the official statement, RuPay announce that the feature is now available to all RuPay credit card holders from Axis Bank, Indian Bank, Bank of Baroda, Canara Bank, HDFC Bank, Punjab National Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank, and Union Bank of India.
The company further assure that more banks will follow the new initiative soon.
Sharath Bulusu, Director of Product Management at Google, said :
How to Activate RuPay Credit Card on Google Pay?
Follow These Steps :
- Open Google Pay on your Android phone or iPhone.
- Go to settings and tap the “RuPay credit card on UPI” option.
- Select the bank that has issue you the RuPay credit card.
- Set a unique UPI PIN by entering the last six digits of the card number and expiry and entering the OTP from your bank.
- Your UPI will be link with the RuPay credit card for transactions.
- You can use the credit card during UPI payments by entering the set UPI PIN the same way you do UPI transactions.
NOTE : The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) allow linking of RuPay credit cards to the UPI platform in June 2022. This initiative was a step toward accessing the convenience of digital payments.