NASA has discover water on a planet outside the Solar System. The name of the planet is WASP-18b and it was discover in 2009 with the help of the Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS), Hubble, and Spitzer telescopes.
The James Webb Space Telescope has discover water here.
WASP-18b planet is 400 light years away from Earth and astronomers have found steam and gas in its atmosphere.
Features Of WASP-18b Planet
- It is called Ultra Hot Gas Giant.
- WASP-18b planet is 10 times bigger than Jupiter.
- Here one year is equal to 23 hours.
- WASP-18b has recorded temperatures of up to 2,700 degrees C.
- Sacientists say that due to such high temperatures, the water evaporated and spread in the atmosphere.
- NASA said that the planet always faces its star, just as one side of the Moon always faces Earth.
On 29th August 2022, carbon dioxide (CO2) was detect on the exoplanet WASP-39 b outside the Solar System.
WASP-18b is at a distance of 700 light years from the Earth.
WASP-18b is revolving around a star like the Sun.
And its weight is a quarter of the weight of Jupiter, WASP-39b appears 30% bloated compared to Jupiter due to gas.
So, its diameter (diameter) is 1.3 times more than that of Jupiter.
The temperature on WASP-39 b is around 900 degrees C.
It revolves very close to its star.
Here one year is equal to 4 days.
According to researchers, the planet was discover only in 2011, but its picture has now come to the fore.
WASP-18b was discover with the help of a radio telescope.
The Hubble and Spitzer telescopes detect water vapor, sodium, and potassium in WASP-39 b’s atmosphere.
Now the James Webb telescope has detect the presence of CO2.
Scientists have come to know about this by looking at the color of the gas.
As, gases absorb certain types of colours so that we can detect them.