Mohammed Siraj makes history as he takes four wickets in a single over and helping Indian cricket team bag its eighth Asia Cup title in the ongoing Asia Cup 2023 final against Sri Lanka and becomes the third bowler in history and the first Indian to pick up four wickets in ODI match.
The stage was set for an epic showdown and India stun hosts Sri Lanka by ceasing a 10 wicket victory.
As Sri Lanka’s legendary bowler Chaminda Vaas, Adil Rashid from Afghanistan and Pakistan’s Mohammad Sami pick up four wickets in an over after 2002.
Siraj has also equal Chaminda Vaas record of five wickets in 16 balls vs Bangladesh in the 2003 World Cup.
This was Siraj’s first fifer of his ODI career.
India fast-bowler Mohammed Siraj broke a records when he became the first Indian bowler to bag four wickets in one over of men’s ODIs when he took four wickets in five deliveries against Sri Lanka in the 2023 Asia Cup final at the R. Premadasa Stadium.
On the first ball of his second over, Mohammed Siraj bowl an outswinger and Pathum Nissanka could drive only to backward point, who move to his right to complete the catch.
A dot ball later, Siraj trap Sadeera Samawickrama lbw with a sharp nip-backer beating the inside edge and striking the batter in front of stumps.
On the very next ball, Charith Asalanka chip the first ball he face straight to cover point.
Dhananjaya de Silva survive the hat-trick ball by punching Mohammed Siraj past mid-on for four.
But Siraj had the last laugh as de Silva push at an outswinger, giving a faint edge behind to take a catch.
Siraj inflicted more damage on Sri Lanka by grabbing his five-wicket haul when he got late movement off a fuller delivery to swing past Dasun Shanaka’s outside edge and sent the off-stump on a ride.
Mohammed Siraj equal the feats of Sri Lanka’s Chaminda Vaas against Bangladesh in 2003, Pakistan’s Mohammad Sami against New Zealand in 2003 and England’s Adil Rashid against West Indies in 2019 to take four wickets in an over of men’s ODI since 2002, to becoming the first from India to do this.
Siraj also took 16 balls to complete his five-wicket haul, the joint-quickest to reach the mark alongside Chaminda Vaas and USA’s Ali Khan.
Mohammed Siraj also has the record now for most wickets in the first 10 overs for India in an ODI since 2002.
Playing in his 29th ODI, Mohammed Siraj took 1002 balls to get his 50th wicket in the format, the second quickest for any bowler in the history of ODIs, only behind Sri Lanka’s Ajantha Mendis 847 balls, making him the joint-fourth-quickest among all Indian bowlers to get the milestone.
Mohammed Siraj gets his 6th wicket by getting one to nip back in from outside off and castle Kusal Mendis through the gate, to get the record for the best bowling figures by a pace bowler in the Asia Cup, going past Pakistan’s Aaqib Javed, who pick 5/19 against India at Sharjah in 1995.
Delhi Police post special praise on Mohammed Siraj after his six wickets in the final of the ongoing Asia Cup 2023 as they hilariously said that there are no speed challans for India speedster for today.
Delhi Police took their X account, formerly known as Twitter share a post and their hilarious post is going viral on the social media.
Also PM Modi congratulates team India.
Well played Team India!— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) September 17, 2023
Congratulations on winning the Asia Cup. Our players have shown remarkable skill through the tournament. https://t.co/7uLEGQSXey
Highlights of Asia Cup 2023 Finals
- Sri Lanka won the toss and opt to bat first in the Asia Cup 2023 finale.
- Leading India’s pace attack, Jasprit Bumrah sent Kusal Perera back to the pavilion in the very first over.
- Mohammed Siraj bowled an excellent maiden over for the second.
- Siraj went on to take 4 wickets in the fourth over, crushing Sri Lanka batting line-up.
- In his next overs, Siraj went on to take another two wickets clutching a six for in the finale and setting up records for himself.
- Rohit Sharma’s deputy, Hardik Pandya, manages to all out Sri Lanka at 50 runs in 15.2 overs.
- This was the briefest score in an ODI final.
- Kusal Mendis manage to score 17 runs for the islanders.
- 5 of the batsmen departed scoring nil.
- The men in blue, in their second innings, open with young stars Ishan Kishan and Shubman Gill.
- The two batsmen chase the target of 51 runs in merely 6 overs, marking India’s highest margin victory.
- India lift their 8th Asia Cup trophy and first major title of Rohit Sharma after he became captain.
- Mohammed Siraj was announce as the “Player of the match” for his dream spell.
- Siraj dedicated this prize money to the ground staff in the island country.
- Kuldeep Yadav was declare as the Player of the tournament for taking 9 wickets.