In Mac OS there are few things more frustrating than the spinning rainbow wheel also known as the wait cursor, which means your computer is struggling to handle its current tasks.
When an application isn’t responding you could wait until your screen unfreezes.
Sometimes you don’t know how long that will take.
The simplest thing to do when faced with the spinning wheel is to force quit the frozen application.
What is Force Quit?
Force quit is a feature that effectively shuts down the unresponsive application.
When you use the force quit feature it is important to know that if your work isn’t saved, you may lose it when force quitting a frozen application like Microsoft Excel or any web browser.
How to Force Quit on Mac from the Apple Menu?
Follow These Steps :
- Identify the app that is unresponsive.
- You have multiple apps open, the easy way to indicate the unresponsive app is to look at the cursor.
- If the cursor looks normal, the app is still responsive.
- If the cursor resembles the rainbow spinning wheel it means the app is unresponsive.
- Once you’ve identified the unresponsive app.
- Locate the taskbar at the top of your screen.
- Select the Apple logo to access the dropdown menu.
- Then select Force Quit.
- A new window will pop up with all the applications you have open on your Mac.
- Select the application you wish to force quit.
- Select Force Quit.
- A pop-up will remind you that any unsaved changes won’t be saved.
How to Force Quit on Mac with a Keyboard Shortcut?
If you have trouble accessing the Apple icon in the taskbar,
You can use the keyboard shortcut Option + Command + Esc and then Follow The Steps mention in How to Force Quit on Mac from the Apple Menu?.
How to Force Quit on Mac using Activity Monitor?
Follow These Steps :
- Launch Activity Monitor.
- You can do this by using the Spotlight feature (Command + Space) or by going to Finder > Applications > Activity Monitor.
- Once Activity Monitor is open.
- Find and select the app you want to force quit.
- After you’ve selected the app.
- Select the stop icon.
- A pop-up window will ask if you are sure you want to quit this process.
- Select Force Quit from the list of options.
- The app will then close.
THANK YOU FOR READING.